1. Take an American Red Cross (or equivalent) lifeguard class. Completion of this class is required to be considered for a lifeguard position.
2. Apply online for the seasonal lifeguard position.
Choose a swim test date when applying. Applications are due April 24, 2014.
3. Take the lifeguard swim test.
Potential candidates must pass all portions of the swim test to be considered for a lifeguard position. Results will be provided on site at completion of the test. A swim test must be completed to be eligible to enroll in the Chicago Park District’s lifeguard training academy.
4. Complete the pre-employment processing that includes a drug screening test plus fingerprinting for all applicants ages 17 and older.
5. Pass the new lifeguard academy.
View the New Guard Academy dates and times. Registration for the academy takes place at the lifeguard swim test. Candidates who complete the academy will get an interview for a lifeguard position.
6. Attend the New Lifeguard Academy Closing Ceremony.
New lifeguard applicants will receive an interview appointment at this time. Appointments are assigned based on how candidates ranked on their swim times, water skills and material covered in the lifeguard academy.
7. Attend the Interview.
At the completion of the interview, viable candidates will be offered a position based on availability. More than 90 percent of those who complete the training are offered jobs.